LAM, VAM, RAM, YAM, HAM (all pronounced with a short vowel sound as the 'a' in the word 'father') are the bija mantras of the five great elements of earth, water, fire, air and ether and relate respectively to the five chakras from the root (Muladhara) to the Throat (Vishuddha). They strengthen their respective elements and chakras and can also be used for the planets connected to the elements. In addition, the mantra KSHAM rules the third eye or mind center and the mantra OM the crown chakra and center of consciousness.
• The mantra LAM (relating to earth and the root chakra) gives groundedness, stability and contentment. It strengthens the Venus and Mars and helps ward off the negative effects of a malefic Saturn.
• The mantra VAM (relating to water and the second chakra) gives movement, vibration and fluidity. It strengthens watery planets like the Moon, Venus and Jupiter.
• The mantra RAM (relating to fire and the solar plexus) gives fire and will power and strengthens the Sun, Mars and Ketu.
• The mantra YAM (relating to air and the heart center) gives power of movement, velocity and direction. It strengthens Mercury.
• The mantra HAM (relating to ether and the throat chakra) gives space, force and pervasion. It strengthens Mercury and Jupiter.
• The mantra KSHAM (pronounced "kshum") strengthens the third eye or Ajna chakra, the Moon and Mercury.
• The mantra OM strengthens the head or crown chakra and the Sun.
Was this article helpful?