1. We must know about exaltation and debility—that is, what is meant by the exaltation of each individual planet, in which it is raised up to a
fjo maximum of its own natural force, and what is its fall, when it suffers loss of that force.
2. When planets are in their own exaltations we say that they rejoice. Whenever in a chart the majority of the planets is in the exact degree of their exaltation, then they indicate the greatest prosperity. On the other hand, men are overwhelmed by catastrophe whenever the majority of the planets is located in the exact degree of those signs in which they lose their power by debility or fall.
3. The former are called exaltations, or favorable places in the chart, because they make those who are born with this configuration fortunate and successful, When they are in their debility or fall—that is, in unfavorable places—they make men wretched, poor, of low birth, and constantly plagued by bad luck.
4. The Babylonians called the signs in which the planets are exalted their "houses." But in the doctrine we use, we' maintain that all the planets are more favorable in their exaltations than in their own signs.
5. The Sun is exalted in the nineteenth degree of Aries but is in its fall in the nineteenth degree of Libra. The Moon is exalted in the third degree of Taurus, in its fall in the third degree of Scorpio. Saturn is exalted in the twenty-first degree of Libra, while it is in its fall in the twenty-first degree of Aries. Jupiter is exalted in the fifteenth degree of Cancer, but its fall is in the fifteenth degree of Capricorn. Mars is exalted in the twenty-eighth degree of Capricorn, but is in its fall in the twenty-eighth degree of Cancer. Venus is exalted in the twenty-seventh degree of Pisces, in its fall in the twenty-seventh degree of Virgo. Mercury is exalted in the fifteenth degree of Virgo and is in its fall in the fifteenth degree of Pisces.
6. For this reason the Babylonians wished to call those signs in which individual planets are exalted their houses, saying that Libra is the house of Saturn, Cancer of Jupiter, Capricorn of Mars, Aries of the Sun, Taurus of the Moon, Pisces of Venus, and Virgo of Mercury.
Was this article helpful?